Saturday, April 17, 2010

#17 NaPoWriMo

Today's promptLet’s be elemental. Fire, earth, water, wind. They touch our lives every day. Choose one that interests you, then take a point of view that is not so much your usual. Observe what interaction you’ve known, or not known, with this element. You might make it personal or take the element’s point of view (how might humans appear to you from that stance?) or wander where you may. Tell us something about your element that we don’t know. You’re welcome to make your own rules, and as always, the most important point is simply to write and share, however it comes your way! Have fun!

I try to stoke them
but they smother my light;
I come to refine them,
but they suffocate my heat;

Extinguish me, will you?
Even the largest trees
need my aid
to grow
and procreate;
I am healing and closure –
they call me destruction
for they have no sight
or knowledge;

sister earth only grounds them
and fattens them;
brother water washes dirt from them
and hydrates them;
uncle wind dusts them
and fills their lungs;
yet
I alone can give them
language and
thought and
impetus;
I alone can make them
bulletproof.

Foolish mortals,
come, hold still,
let me purify
and inspire,
let me lick you
and make you whole.

1 comment:

Lomagirl said...

Very nice! I like the subtle references to native Americans, the bible, more.