Sunday, December 6, 2009

Advent's here...

...and I'm in the mood for the relaxation of vacation. It's not here yet, mind you, but that doesn't prevent me from utter lack of motivation in every other arena of life. Having been sick for nearly four weeks doesn't help, either, but I'm hoping to find my mojo for other stuff, like, oh, grading, church, yoga, writing...anything besides lying around and reading, eating, and sitting slack-jawed staring at tv.

Songbird made me think about Christmas this week with the Friday Five (originally from the RevGalBlogPals): "List five things you won't be doing to prepare for Christmas."

1. I won't be shopping for gifts. This is a travel year. Our family will be staying in a rented house up the Cali coast. Bliss!
2. I won't be inhaling smog or having an eighty-degree Christmas this year.
3. I won't be obsessing over an annual newsletter. I think just a few well-placed Christmas cards will do.
4. I won't be doing a lot of decorating. We'll pull out some items -- candles, tchotchkes, throws, perhaps even lights -- but probably not the tree this year. Since we'll be away for Christmas, and since we've both been sick, it seems too much this year.
5. I won't be abstaining from reading.
[6. Bonus: Having just seen an ad for it, I will not be see Alvin and the Chipmunks. Bleah.]

I will be relaxing, doing things with the family like making Christmas ornaments, playing games and doing puzzles, cooking and baking, and taking walks, and, I hope, sitting a hot tub a lot. Looking forward to it!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad to hear from you!

Lomagirl said...

My brother took the kids to Alvin- yeah!

concretegodmother said...

haha, lomagirl -- you were saved! i didn't see a single movie in the theater over break. nor over thanksgiving break, either! weird. netflix is my currently lifeline, in the media entertainment field.

and songbird, while this is egregiously late, i appreciate the fact that you check in here despite my long gaps. i still read yours, at least weekly, and am grateful for what you write.