Sunday, April 19, 2009

Back, sadly

I did write over spring break. Perhaps not a poem a day, but I'm not flagellating myself about it. I'll post them as I get them typed, unedited and unpolished, as usual; mere sneezes on the page.

Spring Break

Flight yesterday
quick and fairly painless
to a state
where purple mountains
really do exist,
in majesty, even,
silhouetted as they are
by iced peaks,
fondant-drenched
and brilliant, blinding white;
framed below
by stripes
of variant browns,
and above
by blues and grays
and clouds of every type.
Split rail fences,
native grass,
cottonwoods and cottontails;
we drink the panorama
with our pinot
as we rest in the
"smallest, cheapest" palace
on the "block."

The baby spins and slips
on polished, knotted floors.
Blond Rosie bounds, races,
across the prairie grass
after bunnies,
feathers flying and tail curved high;
her smile upon returning
matches the upturned lips
of my heart,
which is remembering again
how to rest.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

maybe i've been watchting too much "ace of cakes" but i love "fondant-drenched." :-)

concretegodmother said...

ahaha! i haven't watched it yet; is it good? the descriptor was the only thing that seemed to fit.

thanks for commenting. i haven't been too regular here lately, but i'm trying to get back to some semblance of a habit. it's too hot to do any posting tonight, though. (9:41 p.m. and still mid-80's)

Audrey Mango said...

This is wonderful!