This here's a catch-all, since I haven't been meeting my goal of posting once or twice a week. [ahem]
Thanksgiving: Lovely time with parents, sis, and cousins (3) and cousins' kid. Somewhat scaled back; not as many casseroles as usual. While I missed some of said casseroles (and plan to make one of them myself this week, I miss it that badly [ahem]), it felt good to be a bit more moderate. We spent less time in the kitchen, more time hanging out and talking, and the post-dinner consequences were much less painful -- satisfaction versus stuffed.
School: Well, I've done no -- NO -- grading this weekend. Let me make myself clear. I've. done. NO. grading. And I am gonna pay dearly. I'm already behind in my AP class, both in schedule and in returning papers. My sophomores have finished a novel (bless Mockingbird), and they've done an absymal draft of a wretched paper that I dread even to read much less mark up with revision advice. I was supposed to decide this weekend how to triage this disastrous paper, and I am no better now than I was on Wednesday afternoon (except better fed and more rested).
I cannot make myself grade at home anymore; this year is apparently a rebel year. I spent this weekend eating, watching movies, decorating for Christmas, cleaning out my constipated closet, watching TV, watching nieces/nephews, taking a real-age survey (my 36 is actually 43 [sigh] -- exercise, flossing, and better nutrition, anyone?), and reading.
Madeleine: As desperately as I want to attend the memorial service this Thursday at Cathedral of St. John the Divine, I have come to terms with the fact that it would be financial folly for me to fly across the country just now. However, it is important for me, personally, to commemorate this her birthday and passing into the next life. She is too important to me -- to my development, my thinking, my sense of God and mystery. Therefore, I shall take Thursday off and conduct my own memorial day of reading, poetry, writing, reflection. It is a compromise, but I am satisfied with it.
Other news: My lifelong partner and I are making more than just ephemeral "someday" plans for moving. We crave a place with beauty, clean air, a dedication to nature and preserving our God-created environment. We want out of the concrete jungle. And we are making more than just a pipe dream. Planning is good.
Sunday, November 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment